S 19th St, Nebraska City, NE 68410 | (402) 873-6552 | Website
This cemetery is located at the intersection of 19th & Industrial Road in Nebraska City, with the main entrance on the east side of the cemetery on 19th street.
The cemetery was founded in 1855 and is still in use today. A.T. Andreas, in the his writings in the book, History of the State of Nebraska, best describes the origin of the cemetery:
“Prior to the year 1855, the remains of the few, in the new settlement, who had died, were buried in the square bounded by Laramie and Main, and Eleventh and Twelfth streets. In the year mentioned a cemetery was laid out by the town company, named Wyuka Cemetery in 1856, the name signifying in the Indian vernacular, ‘resting place.’ The first interment was that of the body of John Clement. The cemetery is situated southwest of the city, and immediately adjacent to it, occupying a low knoll. It is well fenced, abundantly shaded by forest trees of various kinds, and in it are to be found very many appropriate and tasteful memorials, noticeable among which are the monuments erected to the memory of Mrs. J. Sterling Morton, and to that of Judge Daniel Gantt.”