Click Here for a Printable Job Application.
HELP WANTED – Public Property Maintenance Worker II Position
The Nebraska City Street Department is accepting applications for a Public Property Maintenance Worker II position. Applicants should have some knowledge of heavy equipment operations, concrete work, tree trimming and general maintenance. Should be able to lift 100 lbs and have a valid driver’s license (CDL a plus). Full time position with benefits. Complete job description and applications are available at City Hall, 1409 Central Avenue, Nebraska City 68410. Applications will be accepted until 3:00 pm Friday, Dec.15th at City Hall. EOE
NATURE OF WORK
Under supervision, operates light, medium and heavy construction and maintenance equipment, large trucks and performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the routine maintenance of grounds, facilities and equipment of any Public Property Division (i.e. Cemetery, Park-Golf and Street).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates various equipment to include front-end loader, snow blower, street sweeper, grader, jackhammer, tamper, compressor, water wagon, 72” mower, chain saws, concrete saw, backhoe, dump trucks, small tractors, skid loader, chipper and snowplow, flusher, Dura Patch machine and bucket truck;
- Operate weed eaters, paint sprayer, air compressor and other light hand and power tools;
- Checks oil, fuel, water levels of vehicles and equipment;
- Performs street maintenance, including sidewalk and concrete street repairs, storm sewer repairs and cleaning, curb and gutter repair, asphalt patching, mowing, tree removal and trimming, and painting;
- Removes snow and ice from alleys, streets, highways, and other public roadways and property;
- Clears and cleans storm sewers by flushing and rodding;
- Marks pavement with paint and maintains parking facilities;
- Assists other workers with various maintenance, equipment repair and construction work;
- Planting, setting, pruning and caring for trees, shrubs and flowers;
- Helps with animal control;
- Install signs and assists with sign maintenance;
- Assist opening and closing graves;
- Performs custodial and janitorial duties, including changing light bulbs, cleaning restrooms and painting;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of materials, chemicals, equipment, tools and techniques of maintenance, repair and construction;
- Knowledge of the mechanical operation of diesel and gas-powered equipment;
- Ability to perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in maintenance, repair and construction of grounds, facilities and equipment;
- Ability to follow oral and written directions;
- Ability to get along well with co-workers and general public.
- Must have ability to operate equipment and trucks safely and efficiently;
- Ability to work rotating work schedules possibly more than 40 hours including evenings, weekends and holidays;
- Ability and stamina to work in adverse weather conditions;
- Ability to carry, push, or pull a variety of tools, equipment and materials;
- Ability to climb, balance, stoop, kneel and work in a crouched position for extended periods of time, may lift up to 100 pounds;
- Ability to climb up onto and down from equipment;
- Ability to drive within one hundred (100) mile radius of Nebraska City.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or GED and two years experience in the operation of light and medium equipment and trucks as a laborer or maintenance worker in maintenance of grounds, facilities and equipment.
Thank you for seeking employment with the City of Nebraska City. Please check back often for future job postings.